Saturday, October 26, 2013

Banana Loaf/Cake


You know you're on to a good thing when you can stay loyal to a recipe for decades. I've been making this banana loaf for so many years that I no longer remember where it originated and I could probably make it with my eyes closed. Hmm that could be an interesting experiment.

As for other kinds of cakes, such as carrot cake, I haven't been so loyal. I've been a bit of a recipe slut, so to speak. I have tried so many versions of carrot cakes and none have satisfied me enough to become a staple recipe yet. None that I would make twice, let alone make every couple of months.

It's really handy to have a favourite staple cake recipe, one that you know is reliable and tastes great. My banana loaf recipe has been that number one go-to recipe for me. It's moist and sweet and has the texture of cake, so I'll often double the mixture and bake it in a round tin and it will double as a cake. It tastes great with or without frosting so is great if you need to whip up a quick celebration cake or just want to eat it plain with a cup of tea. I hadn't shared it on my blog earlier because I thought it was too simple and surely everyone already has a decent banana cake recipe in their repertoire. But if you don't, I really recommend you give this one a go, I hope you'll love it as much as I do.

Anyone else have a favourite go-to baking recipe? An old reliable favourite? The kind that you can whip up in no time if you suddenly are expecting guests and  really can't be arsed faffing about with a new or complicated recipe.

BANANA LOAF

Ingredients:

3 large bananas
1/3 cup melted butter (80g)
1 cup white sugar (225g)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
pinch of salt
1 and 1/2 cups flour (approx 190g)

Method:

Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius ( 350 Fahrenheit)

Mash the bananas well. Mix in the melted butter. Stir until well combined.

Add the beaten egg, sugar and vanilla. Mix.

Add the flour, baking soda and sat. Mix.

Pour into a medium-sized loaf tin (22x11cm)

Bake for approx 50 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I love banana cake, and this one looks so scrumptious and sounds easy to make. Looking forward to making this soon!

    My go-to recipe is lemon yoghurt cake with lemon syrup. I always have lemons on hand, though sometimes I have to run to the dairy for the yoghurt. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Sounds yum. I love how versatile lemons are, definitely a handy ingredient.

      Delete
  2. I made this its really yum. and filling to thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message!