Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Self-Crusting Quiche


Quiche without pastry just sounds so wrong. Pastry is amazing; it just makes everything just taste extra good. Oddly enough though, I've been making my quiche without pastry for years and I find it just as delicious. The key is just to pimp out your filling with tasty flavours. It's definitely my go-to recipe when I realise I haven't got a dinner planned because as far as fillings go, anything goes, even your leftovers or vegetables that are no longer looking so fresh.

I don't really have a set list of filling ingredients as the world's your oyster. Fillings I've used range from pumpkin to sardines. All ingredients just get mixed in a bowl then poured in your cooking dish. Couldn't be too much simpler. For the one in the photo we were running low on food supplies so I just used what we had on hand: 1 x 185g tin of tuna in red thai curry, some chopped silverbeet and a teaspoon each of crushed ginger and garlic. It was awesome!

So to get started here is the base-recipe for the quiche.

Self-Crusting Quiche:

3 eggs
1 tablespoon oil
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup plain flour (can use self raising flour, just omit the baking powder)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup grated cheese
1 onion, finely chopped
Seasonings: use anything you fancy, besides salt and pepper you can use whatever flavours you like: ginger; garlic; spice mixes like Cajun, bbq or Indian, or any herbs or spices of your choice.
Fillings: any veges or proteins of your choosing.(For the quiche in the photo I had added 1 x 185g tin of tuna in red thai curry, chopped silverbeet and a teaspoon each of crushed ginger and garlic. It was simple but delicious.)

Method: Beat the eggs in a large bowl then add the other wet ingredients. Add the flour and baking powder and whisk it together to get rid of any lumps, then mix in the rest of the ingredients.  Pour into a 22cm/9 inch round dish and bake at 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit), for approx 30-40 minutes or until set in the centre.

Makes one 22cm round quiche.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message!